- 1 sweet onion – medium diced
- 2 celery stalks – medium diced
- 4 carrots – medium diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil – or enough to cover the bottom of the pot
- 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh zucchini – medium diced (about 1 medium or 2 small)
- 2 cups green beans – cut in 1 inch pieces
- [1 bell pepper – medium diced] omitted
- [addition: 6-8 cremini mushrooms, diced]
- [addition: 2 small chunks of parmesan rind]
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- [2 28-ounce cans of water] I only used about 1/2 a can of water
- [1 tetra pak/4 C low sodium chicken broth]
- 1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans
- [1 15-ounce can of chickpeas] I used 2 cans of cannellini
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups kale – stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (or to taste)
- [2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary]
- [2 teaspoons dried parsley]
- [grated romano cheese]
- [fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon]
Large stockpot + oil, onions, carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
Add garlic and cook for about one minute.
Add zucchini, green beans, mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, add the turmeric, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chicken broth, parmesan rinds, rosemary, parsley, canned beans, raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat to medium/low and allow the soup to gently boil, uncovered, about 20 minutes.
Add the quinoa and cover for 15 minutes.
Remove the cover, add the kale and romano cheese, cook until kale wilts.
Add juice of 1 lemon, taste for seasoning
I cooked this even longer than above to let the veggies get soft and flavors to mingle